EduPeople by Strictly Education

Overseas Applicants

Overseas Applicants


Individuals who have lived or worked outside the UK must undergo the same checks as all other staff in schools or colleges including obtaining an enhanced DBS certificate with barred list information for individuals working in regulated activity (even if the individual has never been to the UK).  In addition, schools and colleges must make any further checks they think appropriate so that any relevant events that occurred outside the UK can be considered.  Teachers are requested to provide proof of their past conduct as a teacher. This should be a letter of professional standing issued by the professional regulating authority in the country in which they worked. Such evidence can be considered alongside other information obtained through other pre-appointment checks to help assess their suitability.

Up to date guidance on appropriate further checks for individuals who have lived or worked overseas can be found in the statutory guidance document  Keeping Children Safe in Education and in the guidance document Changes to checks for EU Sanctions on EEA teachers from 1 January 2021.

Home Office guidance on criminal records checks for overseas applicants is available (see link below) as well as further information on the application process for criminal records checks or 'Certificates of Good Character': 
Home Office Guidance on the Application Process for Criminal Records Checks Overseas (links to website)
The application process for criminal records checks or ‘Certificates of Good Character’ for someone from overseas varies from country to country. Please consult the appropriate guidance below based on the country concerned (links are to website):
Countries A-F
Countries G-P
Countries Q-Z  
Where evidence cannot be obtained employers should record the efforts they have made.